CCNA Discovery 1 Final V4.0 Answers
DHomesb Final Exam - CCNA Discovery: Networking for Home and Small Businesses (Version 4.0)
1. What is a function of the distribution layer in the hierarchical design model?
to provide latency free switching
to organize end devices in small manageable groups
to provide connectivity using the high-speed backbone
to provide connectivity between smaller local networks
2. Under what circumstance would it be appropriate to use private IP addresses?
for communication between two ISPs
for a network that is directly connected to the Internet
for addresses that are used exclusively within an organization.
for a host with more than one direct connection to the Internet
3. What two commands can be used to form a new binding if client information does not agree with the DHCP client table? (Choose two.)
4. What type of computer would most likely use a docking station?
5. For an IP address, what component decides the number of bits that is used to represent the host ID?
6. What type of cable would be required to connect a Linksys router to a wired PC?
7. A network technician suspects that malware on a user PC is opening multiple TCP connections to a specific foreign host address. Which Windows command line utility can be used to confirm the multiple TCP connections?
8. A college network administrator is planning a wireless LAN to provide service in the student lounge and outdoor patio. The requirements include a range of at least 80 meters and a speed of 30 Mb/s. Which wireless LAN standard meets these requirements?
9. Which of the following statements best describes DNS?
DNS servers are used to map an IP address to a physical address.
DNS servers are used to map a name to an IP address.
DNS servers are used to configure logical address information for host computers.
DNS servers are used to translate from private addresses to public addresses.
10. A network administrator has been notified that users have experienced problems gaining access to network resources. What utility could be used to directly query a name server for information on a destination domain?
11. What is the purpose of pop-up blocker software?
It detects and removes spyware.
It detects and removes viruses.
It prevents the display of advertisement windows.
It removes unwanted e-mail.
12. What data communication technology uses low-power radio waves to transmit data?
fiber optic cable
13. What are two examples of peripheral input devices? (Choose two.)
14. Which portion of the packet does a router use to forward the packet to the destination?
source IP address
destination IP address
destination MAC address
15. Which two statements are true about local applications? (Choose two.)
They run on the network.
An example of a local application is e-mail.
They are accessed from a remote computer.
They are stored on the local hard disk.
They run on the computer where they are installed.
16. Which three address ranges can be used to depict private IP addresses? (Choose three.)
10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
127.16.0.0 to 127.16.255.255
18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124
172.16.1.0 to 172.16.1.255
192.168.22.0 to 192.168.22.255
126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52
17. Because of an increasing number of users, bandwidth per user on a WLAN has decreased to a point where users are complaining about poor performance. What can be done to improve the user experience?
Increase the AP radio signal strength.
Place the AP in a more central location.
Deploy an external omni-directional antenna.
Reduce the number of devices using each channel.
18. How does a straight-through cable connect two unlike devices?
It connects the receive pins on the first device to the receive pins on the second device.
It connects the transmit pins on the first device to the receive pins on the second device.
It disconnects the transmit pins and uses only the receive pins.
It uses the same pins for transmitting and receiving.
19. TCP/IP data transmission between the source and destination host is encapsulated in four steps:
A. adds the data-link header and trailer;
B. converts data to bits for transmission;
C. adds the network IP address to the header of the packet;
D. segments the data for end-to-end transport.
What is the correct sequence of these steps?
A, B, C, D
A, D, B, C
B, D, A, C
D, C, A, B
D, C, B, A
20. When are leased lines typically used?
when low bandwidth is required
for home and small business connectivity
when a dedicated digital data line is necessary
as a less expensive option to cable and DSL modem service
21. What are two ways that a user can interact with an operating system shell? (Choose two.)
Refer to the exhibit. H1 can ping H2, H3, and the Fa0/0 interface of router R1. H2 and H3 but not H1 can ping H4 and H5. What is a possible cause for the H1 failure?
Router R1 has no route to the destination network.
Switch S1 does not have an IP address configured.
The link between router R1 and switch S2 has failed.
Host H1 does not have a default gateway configured.
23. After issuing the ipconfig/all command on a host that has DHCP enabled, a network administrator notes that the output contains faulty IP configuration information. What is the first step the administrator should take to resolve this issue?
Replace the NIC in the host.
Change the IP address of the DHCP server.
Use static addressing to assign the correct IP address.
Use the release and renew options supported by the ipconfig command.
24. When terminating a UTP cable, why is it important to push the wires all the way into the end of the connector?
to allow the cable to endure more stretching or twisting
to ensure good electrical contact
to ensure that the wires are in correct order
to minimize crosstalk
25. Which network design layer provides a connection point for end user devices to the network?
26. All hosts within a domain receive the same frame that originates from one of the devices. The domain is also bounded by routers. What type of domain is this?
Refer to the exhibit. An educational institution needs to connect PC systems that use private IP addressing to the Internet. They have multiple systems that need to access the Internet, but were only able to purchase one public IP address. What should be activated on the Linksys integrated router to achieve this goal?
28. Which three statements describe an IP address? (Choose three.)
An IP address is known as a logical address.
An IP address uses a 30-bit addressing scheme.
An IP address is found in the Layer 2 header during transmission.
The network portion of an IP address is burned into a network interface card.
An IP address is unique within the same local network.
The network portion of an IP address will be the same for all hosts that are connected to the same local network.
29. What is the purpose of creating a DMZ during network firewall implementation?
to create a server security zone accessible only to internal clients
to create a dirty zone that allows all inbound and outbound traffic
to allow for a publicly accessible zone without compromising the internal network
to specify a higher security level than normally required for the internal production network
30. Which two components are configured via software in order for a PC to participate in a network environment? (Choose two.)
31. A home user is looking for an ISP connection that provides high speed digital transmission over regular phone lines. What ISP connection type should be used?
Refer to the exhibit. The security policy of an organization allows employees to connect to the office intranet from their homes. Which type of security policy is this?
In IP telephony, what is the purpose of a gateway to the PSTN?
to connect IP voice clients to Internet phone service
to create a peer-to-peer connection between two IP voice clients
to map unique names of IP voice endpoints to a client list on a voice server
to allow IP voice clients to communicate with regular analog telephones.
34. Which two causes of networking problems are related to the physical layer? (Choose two.)
damaged cables and connectors
incorrect subnet mask
incorrect default gateway
35. Which device is often configured to act as both a DHCP client and a DHCP server?
integrated services router
36. Which adapter card would be required for a PC to exchange information with other PCs on a LAN?
37. Which protocol is used to transfer files among network devices and perform file-management functions?
38. What is true about a wireless access point that is equipped with an omnidirectional antenna?
concentrates signal in one direction
typically used in bridging applications
radiates the signal equally in all directions
provides the greatest transmission distance of all antenna types that are used by APs
39. What is a weakness of WEP that is solved by WPA?
WEP is a proprietary standard whereas WPA is an open standard.
WEP keys are only 64 bits long whereas WPA keys are 128 bits long.
WEP uses the same key for every connection whereas WPA uses a different key for each connection.
WEP uses a fixed length key for every connection whereas WPA uses a different key length for each connection.
40. Which statement is true concerning stateful packet inspection?
Access is permitted based on IP addresses of the source and destination devices.
Access is permitted based on the MAC addresses of the source and destination devices.
Access is permitted only if the type of application that is attempting to reach the internal host is allowed.
Access is permitted only if it is a legitimate response to a request from an internal host.
41. A home user was successfully browsing the Internet earlier in the day but is now unable to connect. A ping command from a wireless laptop to a wired PC in the LAN is successful, but the nslookup command fails to resolve a website address. The user decides to analyze the LEDs on the Linksys router to verify connectivity. Which LED should be of main concern in this situation?
1-4 Ethernet LEDs
42. Some new features are available for the OS that is currently running on a user's PC. What method should be chosen so that the user can install these new feature sets?
43. What does the term "attenuation" mean in data communication?
loss of signal strength as distance increases
time for a signal to reach its destination
leakage of signals from one cable pair to another
strengthening of a signal by a networking device
44. After attaching four PCs to the switch ports, configuring the SSID and setting authentication properties for a small office network, a technician successfully tests the connectivity of all PCs that are connected to the switch and WLAN. A firewall is then configured on the device prior to connecting it to the Internet. What type of network device includes all of the described features?
standalone wireless access point
45. Which two issues can cause connectivity problems on a wireless network? (Choose two.)
low number of clients in BSS
802.11b clients attempting connection to 802.11g APs
46. A local PC has the correct configuration that is required to access the network. A ping command that is sourced at the PC does not receive a response from a remote device. Which operating system command might be used to determine where the connection failed?
47. What is the default subnet mask for an IP address of 184.108.40.206?
Refer to the exhibit. A user on host A sends an e-mail to the user on host B. Which type of message does host A send?
Refer to the graphic. Based on the information that is shown, what statement is true?
This configuration would be commonly found in an ad hoc wireless network.
Any wireless client that is attached to this access point would have the same IP address and SSID.
All wireless devices that are connected to this access point must have an assigned SSID of Academy.
In addition to accepting wireless client requests, this access point must connect to the wired network.
50. A network engineer wants to represent confidential data in binary format. What are the two possible values that the engineer can use? (Choose two.)
51. For the TCP/IP model for internetwork communication, which statement describes the process for the transition of data from the internet layer to the network access layer?
An IP packet is encapsulated in a frame.
A TCP segment is placed in an IP packet.
HTML data is encapsulated in a TCP segment.
A frame is placed on the network media as encoded bits.
52. What is a service pack?
an access policy
an agreement between a company and a vendor
a piece of code created to fix one specific problem
a collection of patches and updates released by a vendor
a small piece of software designed specifically for security issues