CCNA Discovery 1 Chapter 3 V4.0 Answers
DHomesb Chapter 3 – CCNA Discovery: Networking for Home and Small Businesses (Version 4.0)
1. Host A needs to learn the MAC address of Host B, which is on the same LAN segment. A message has been sent to all the hosts on the segment asking for the MAC address of Host B. Host B responds with its MAC address and all other hosts disregard the request. What protocol was used in this scenario?
2. Which two statements concerning networking standards are true? (Choose two.)
adds complexity to networks
encourages vendors to create proprietary protocols
provides consistent interconnections across networks
ensures that communications work best in a single-vendor environment
simplifies new product development
3. What is a reason for disabling simple file sharing?
It enables the user to map a remote resource with a local drive.
It enables the user to share all files with all users and groups.
It enables the user to share printers.
It enables the user to set more specific security access levels.
4. What is the function of the FCS field in an Ethernet frame?
detects transmission errors
provides timing for transmission
contains the start of frame delimiter
indicates which protocol will receive the frame
5. An integrated router can normally perform the functions of which two other network devices? (Choose two.)
wireless access point
Refer to the graphic. Five PCs are connected through a hub. If host H1 wants to reply to a message from host H2, which statement is true?
H1 sends a unicast message to H2, but the hub forwards it to all devices.
H1 sends a unicast message to H2, and the hub forwards it directly to H2.
H1 sends a broadcast message to H2, and the hub forwards it to all devices.
H1 sends a multicast message to H2, and the hub forwards it directly to H2.
7. What does the 100 mean when referencing the 100BASE-T Ethernet standard?
type of cable used
type of data transmission
speed of transmission
type of connector required
maximum length of cable allowed
8. Which table does a router use to make decisions about the interface through which a data packet is to be sent?
9. A switch receives a frame with a destination MAC address that is currently not in the MAC table. What action does the switch perform?
It drops the frame.
It sends out an ARP request looking for the MAC address.
It floods the frame out of all active ports, except the origination port.
It returns the frame to the sender.
10. If the default gateway is configured incorrectly on the host, what is the impact on communications?
The host is unable to communicate on the local network.
The host can communicate with other hosts on the local network, but is unable to communicate with hosts on remote networks.
The host can communicate with other hosts on remote networks, but is unable to communicate with hosts on the local network.
There is no impact on communications.
11. Which term is used to describe the process of placing one message format into another format so that the message can be delivered across the appropriate medium?
Refer to the graphic. What does the router do after it determines that a data packet from Network 1 should be forwarded to Network 2?
It sends the data packet as it was received.
It reassembles the frame with different MAC addresses than the original frame.
It reassembles the data packet with different IP addresses than the original data packet.
It reassembles both the packet and the frame with different destination IP and MAC addresses.
13. What type of route allows a router to forward packets even though its routing table contains no specific route to the destination network?
14. What is the purpose of logical addresses in an IP network?
They identify a specific NIC on a host device.
They are used to determine which host device accepts the frame.
They provide vendor-specific information about the host.
They are used to determine the network that the host is located on.
They are used by switches to make forwarding decisions.
15. Which two networking devices are used to connect hosts to the access layer? (Choose two.)
16. Which two items are included in a network logical map? (Choose two.)
IP addressing scheme
length of cable runs
physical location of networking devices
specific layout of interconnections between networking devices and hosts
17. What device is typically used as the default gateway for a computer?
a server hosted by the ISP
the router interface closest to the computer
a server managed by a central IT department
the switch interface that connects to the computer
18. Which address does an NIC use when deciding whether to accept a frame?
source IP address
source MAC address
destination IP address
destination MAC address
source Ethernet address
19. Which type of address is used in an Ethernet frame header?
logical addresses only
IP addresses only
MAC addresses only
broadcast addresses only
20. What is a benefit of having a router within the distribution layer?
prevents collisions on a local network
keeps broadcasts contained within a local network
controls which hosts have access to the network
controls host-to-host traffic within a single local network
21. Which device accepts a message on one port and always forwards the message to all other ports?