CCNA Discovery 1 Chapter 2 V4.0 Answers
DHomesb Chapter 2 – CCNA Discovery: Networking for Home and Small Businesses (Version 4.0)
1. A computer in the Advanced Technology Center computer room on the second floor, room number 217, has the computer name ATC_217_7. What fact is true about the computer name?
The name is dynamically assigned by the DNS server.
The name is required to allow connectivity to the DHCP server.
The name must include the floor number to support the SLA agreement.
The names of all devices in a workgroup must be the same to allow LAN connectivity.
The name makes it easier for users to reference the device when connecting to it to share resources.
2. Which three pieces of information must be specified on a computer to allow that computer to send and receive information across networks? (Choose three.)
network card manufacturer
3. Which operating system patch installation method is used when a user is notified of a security update for remotely accessing a computer, but wishes not to install this patch?
prompt for permission
4. What is the purpose of a default gateway?
physically connects a computer to a network
provides a permanent address to a computer
identifies the network to which a computer is connected
identifies the logical address of a networked computer and uniquely identifies it to the rest of the network
identifies the device that allows local network computers to communicate with devices on other networks
5. Which two statements should be included in a pre-installation checklist when upgrading an operating system? (Choose two.)
Verify that the hardware resources have multiple partitions.
Verify that the hardware resources meet or exceed the published minimum requirements.
Complete a full backup of all important files and data.
Overwrite any data currently contained on the drive to remove all contents.
Verify that the hardware resources are certified to work with the existing operating system prior to upgrading.
6. An operating system is severely damaged. All data on the partition needs to be deleted, and all application software must be reinstalled. Which installation method should be used to correct the problem?
7. Which method of interacting with an operating system involves typing commands at a command prompt?
8. What are three characteristics of an operating system that is released under the GPL (GNU Public License)? (Choose three.)
full access to source code
software often available free
structured development cycle
can be expensive to purchase
limits what end-user can do with code
support normally user-based and often free
9. What Explorer menu option is used to determine the Windows XP version installed on a computer?
10. What are two ways that a user can interact with an operating system shell? (Choose two.)
11. What occurs when computers are configured to receive their network configurations dynamically?
Each computer receives a permanent IP address.
A network administrator enters information on each computer.
Each computer requests configuration information from a server.
An NIC automatically provides configuration information to the computer and stores that configuration information.
12. Which statement is true about installing an operating system on computers in a networked environment?
The computer name must be unique for all computers on the same network.
The operating system must be the same on all computers on the same network.
The amount of installed RAM must be the same on all computers on the same network.
The operating system must have the latest patch applied during the installation or it will not participate in the network.
13. Windows XP has a known problem with specific Intel processors. What is the best course of action to take in this situation?
Power off the computer and reinstall the CPU.
Delete Windows XP and perform a clean install.
Reinstall Windows XP to the same hard drive partition.
Reinstall Windows XP to a different hard drive partition.
Download and install the Windows patch that fixes this problem.
Replace the Intel processor with one that is approved by Microsoft.
14. What two items are available from the About Windows option through the Windows Explorer Help menu? (Choose two.)
a list of troubleshooting links
the end-user license agreement
a list of installed hardware devices
the date of the last Windows update
the operating system version number
a list of terms with links to definitions
15. Which Windows file system is more likely to be used in an enterprise-level environment?
16. Which two statements are true about drive partitions? (Choose two.)
Partitions are necessary in multi-boot installations.
A hard drive can be divided into an operating system partition and a data partition.
User data is never overwritten when a drive is partitioned.
A disk partition is a defined section of an operating system.
Each partition requires a different file system type.
17. The Lesson TaskMaster application from ChalkBoard has a problem. Every time the software is installed and loaded on a Windows XP-based Dell computer, and the moment something is typed followed by a tab, two tabs are inserted instead of one. What would be the best solution to this problem?
Uninstall and then reinstall Lesson TaskMaster.
Download, install, and apply a patch from Dell.
Download, install, and apply a patch from Microsoft.
Download, install, and apply a patch from ChalkBoard.
18. Which three resource specifications are given by the manufacturer to ensure that an operating system performs as designed? (Choose three.)
type of keyboard
required video memory
required hard disk space
processor type and speed
recommended amount of RAM
19. Which two items must be unique to each computer and cannot be duplicated on a network? (Choose two.)
20. Which Windows XP Automatic Update option allows you to select the time when a Windows update is executed?
Install updates from the Windows Update web site.
Notify me but don’t automatically download or install them.
Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.